Sunday, March 28, 2010

Back in 5...4...3...2...1

This has been the longest I've been gone from here in a while. I've been reading every day but my own words were struck with a case of Laryngitis. Quite simply the words I found were uninspired and dull. I needed inspiration. I needed a muse. I needed a fresh approach. Today I've been wandering around in Blogger.com and I've found some very talented, some very amusing, some very strange and some very inspiring bloggers. I got lost in the words of others for a while.

I woke this morning feeling a little anxious. I get that way when I don't write. I started reading Stephen King's On Writing memoir again. I reread this book every so often just to get some perspective. Do you read books more than once? I've got a few books I treasure and reread all the time. We're old friends that have traveled to many places together.
Do you ever leave a book unfinished? I can't. Once I've read that first page that book has me till the last page. Even if it takes me a year and I read other books in between. I don't know why I can't just put it down and give it away. I feel like I may be missing something. There was a reason this book was published. Some Editor deemed it worthy. I must be missing something and maybe that something is what is missing from my own writing. Sometimes books choose you.

So I'm back. I'm going to try a few new things. Maybe.

5 comments:

  1. Marilyn French - The Women's Room. I read it every year! :) no matter how bad books are, I cant stop them half way either, I feel bad for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVED Stephen King's On Writing, what an awesome book! Do you like anything else of his? The Talisman is my alltime fave! I must admit, I often leave books unfinished. I'm really fickle that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bruce :) Gail - I've not read that one - I'll add it to my list of books I need to read.:)
    Angela -I used to be a big fan of Stephen King until I read Gerald's Game. He lost me for a while after that but I've started to find my appreciation for him again. I'll have to read the Talisman.;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing with Stephen King is to read the fantasy stuff and stay away from the horror. The Talisman and the Dark Tower series are his best, in my opinion. :-)

    ReplyDelete