Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Today I almost lost my right thumb!

It was the Kitchen again. I've told you how it hates me. I was chopping onions. Slippery devils! I'm not sure if I told you but I bought Bruce a Magimix for Christmas. Though he is convinced onions taste different when you use it to chop them I've been secretly using it when he isn't home.Very, very sneaky! I did admit to him one Saturday but he didn't believe me. Apparently when his Dad and him were perfecting the Famous Family Peri-Peri recipe back in Australia they made a revolutionary discovery. Whenever they used the Magimix to chop the onions it gave the sauce a slightly different flavour that they didn't like. So onions were chopped by hand forever more.
Tonight I decide to oblige and use a knife to chop the onions I needed for the mince dish we were having for dinner. The result, I almost lost my thumb! I'm not exaggerating. I used the smaller, sharper chopping knife. Peeled the onions and started to chop. I'm not sure if it is because these onions are Scottish but they are decidedly more slippery than I remember Benoni onions being. Onion slipped away from knife, thumb went under and slice! Shock! Blood. Lots of blood. Cold Water. Pain. Roller Towel, pressure. Less pain. Blood soaked. Dancing around the kitchen holding towel over thumb shouting profanities not befitting a lady! More roller towel and sticky tape to hold it in place (Too much blood and no plaster big enough!). Onions in Magimix. Viola! Easy Peesy!

I'm now discovering how difficult life with an out of action thumb can be! I can type, thank your lucky stars but holding a pen could be hard. Trying to open a can of tomatoes is an endurance test! Even holding the wooden spoon to stir was less effective!
Feeling sorry for me? How long do you think I can milk this for? I will tell you one thing - I'm using the Magimix to chop onions from now on. My opposable appendages depend on it!

2 comments: