Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I feel Italian

I have a passport that says I am Italian but with my pasty white skin I've never really looked the part. Until tonight. I just had my first ever, ever Spray Tan! Yes, you heard it here first. Me - until tonight - a Spray Tan Virgin.

It is a rather bizarre ritual I have to say. I didn't really know what to expect. Of course, I've read the literature. I've seen it on episodes of Friends and Sex and the City. Others have told me what to expect, what to wear, how to stand, what not to do and to just close my eyes and wait till it's over if I'm not enjoying it.

'Put this on' my always cheery Beautician friend, Kym, said as she handed me what looked like a tampon. It was in fact a very sexy paper g-string. O la la! I may stock up on some paper underwear for those special occasions when you just want something that is easily torn.
She instructed me on the correct way to stand once I was suitably attired. With my legs apart, facing the back wall of the shower and my arms in line with my shoulders bending at the elbows - a bit like a scarecrow. Too easy.

She left me to prepare. Paper g-string on I waited for the knock that would mean this is it, there is no going back. It came. In fact there were two of them. Light and fast. Knock, Knock! 
I assumed the position as Kym armed with what looked like a paint spray bottle simply said, 'This may be a little cold.'  And you know what - it was.
After that I closed my eyes and followed the instructions: turn to the right side, turn your head away, turn to your left side, face me, lift your head, keep your eyes closed. 
And just like that it was over and I was all alone in my paper g-string with a mirror and a hot air blower that looked a bit like a vacuum cleaner. But man oh man was I brown! Dark brown like my Sicilian ancestors would have been!

Of course, most of the dark will wash off in the shower in 2 hours and I'll be left with a shade only 2 shades darker than my normal pasty white. For now though I almost feel like I've been on a long holiday and worked hard for this tan. It is amazing the confidence a tan gives you. I may do this again... and again!



1 comment: