Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Strange things in a Strange Land

When you move to a new country noticing cultural differences is common. Adjusting to these differences can be the biggest obstacle you need to overcome before you start to feel like you are part of a community. Sometimes it never happens. Sometimes the things you see are so bizarre and unfathomable that you find yourself waking in the middle of the night screaming: 'NOOO, not my favourite tekkies!'*

I've been noticing these:


















What does it mean? Is it part of a group initiation ritual here and if I'm called upon to take part do I get to choose the tekkies I chuck? What if I can't get them to loop over? Do I get some practice throws? Does everybody know about this ritual except me?

I really don't know how I'm managing to sleep at all with this mystery haunting my every waking thought.

*trainers

3 comments:

  1. We actually saw the very same thing the other morning while out running. So clearly it's not limited to your neck of the woods. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is weird! I have seen it here (SA) too, not a clue what that is about, and if I had to do it, and I think actually I might like to - they had so better be old tekkies, I am quite attached to mine at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a sign for druggies that a dealer lives nearby. Sort of word-of-mouth but with shoes. There are tons of these in known drug hotspots like St Kilda.

    ReplyDelete