Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

It’s Mother's Day today! I’m normally quite organized and make sure to spoil my very deserving Mother with flowers and cards but this year I’m very sad to say that with all that’s been going on in my life of late I remembered the flowers too late and she only got a phone call this year. I feel like a very bad daughter. I had the best of intentions but not enough time to follow through on them. Not an excuse I know.

I suppose -and I’m not justifying my lack of gift here- no gift could ever really express how much I love and value my Mother. Like every mother she has had to endure the empty nest syndrome with each of us leaving the nest one by one. Most mothers are lucky enough to have their kids living down the road, in the next town or at least the same country as them. In my Mom’s case, like so many mothers from South Africa, all her kids live overseas. So on Mothers Day there is no-one to take her out to lunch, drop by with flowers and a card or cook her breakfast in bed. My Dad does his best to treat her and we all make the effort to try make her feel special. I failed this year and I’m quite sad about that. My mom sounded down when I phoned her (though she tried to hide it) and I feel like I didn’t do what I was meant to as a good daughter to make her happy on Mother’s Day. So Mom if you are reading this I want you to know I love you very much. I feel very lucky to have had a Mom like you – on top of all the usual motherly qualities most mom’s possess you had a very extra special ones that made you stand out – open-minded, encouraging and mischievous – you gave us all our naughty side. You were the first to stand up and fight in our court. You were the coolest of all the Moms and still are! HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment