Sunday, April 19, 2009

Póg mo thóin

Saturday. And I'm at work. Only for a few hours so not so bad and pretty much just waiting around so I can test a few things and then be on my way. So thought while I wait I would sit here and type up a few of my thoughts. So clever I am!

Been a busy but mostly uneventful week except for last night. I surprised my folk music mad man with tickets to see Sharon Shannon Big Band with Camille O’Sullivan and Shane McGowan. Such a good night! We got jiggy to some seriously outstanding Irish Tunes.

I’m not sure you know who Shane McGowan is. Ever heard of The Pogues – responsible for such hits as Fairytale of New York, Dirty Ol’ Town and Irish Rover? He is the founding Lead Singer. And what a character he is!

I actually almost walked into him on the street outside the venue. I'd just been to the cash machine to- uh - draw cash for boozing and had begun the journey back to join Bruce in the queue. My first thought when I saw this dishevelled guy stumbling out of a pub and fumbling to put his sunglasses on (no, the sun was not shining in Scotland) was that he was going to ask me for a cig. Then as I was walking by, I noticed the expensive leather pants and something clicked my recognition button! When I looked up everyone in the queue was staring in my direction. I mean I know I’m hot but that kind of admiration would have been … a new thing.

By all accounts a night to remember. Sharon Shannon is indescribable. What a musician and so real. You’ll find her on You Tube if you care to see for yourself. While you are there look out for Gerry O’Connor – amazing banjo player and Jim Murray – brilliant guitarist. I could go on and on about last night but don’t want to risk doing a Celine Dion on my faithful readers and as your luck would have it the waiting game is over.

So póg mo thóin!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, I'll check it out. Just a couple of days then I'm headed in your direction. Anything special on in Scotland between the 2 - 8 May???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miller boy... I'll keep an ear and eye out for you. Where in Soctland you going to be again?

    ReplyDelete